First, find out the THC potency for the strain you are cooking with. Check strain databases and websites.
If you don’t know, start with a general estimate of 10% THC. Most strains have about 10% THC. 15-20% THC are above average. 21% or greater is very strong.
Calculate THC Dosing
- Weigh your dry cannabis (grams)
- Convert the weight to milligrams
- Multiply weight by the THC percentage
- Determine total infusion amount
- Calculate percentage of THC used in your recipe. Divide the amount used in your recipe by the total infused amount made
- Divide by the servings to calculate a per-serving THC dose
Might sound complicated, but let’s break it down with an easy example.
You made an infusion with 2.5 cups of butter and 2 grams of cannabis bud. You then used 1 cup of butter to make 20 cookies. How much THC does each cookie have?
- 2 grams of cannabis bud
- 2 grams = 2,000mg
- If the strain is 10% THC, 10% of 2,000mg is 200mg.
1 cup of butter / 2 ½ cups of infusion = 40% (aka .40)
200mg (Total THC of Infusion) x .4 (Infusion Amount Used in Recipe) = 80mg
6. Your recipe makes 20 cookies
80mg / 20 cookies
Each cookie has 4mg of THC